Sunday, April 8, 2007

Question Response

Since I've gotten my laptop, I've had a lot of chances to look around the net and see what it has to offer. I've been looking for things that can actually help me be more productive or just learn a bit more random and maybe even useful info. Google Tech Talks is a collaboration of videos I've come across in my searches. As with most of my posts this one is tech-oriented. The tech talks are various conferences hosted by google dealing with a VERY wide variety of subjects. I found many of these videos interesting and I did learn some things from them too. I'm not sure if this has enough to do with me to count as a question response, but it's more of that I find this type of thing fascinating. This post is not so much about the tech talks themselves, but more of how I got those tech talks.
A video we were shown about the internet at the start of our blog projects dealt with how humans are affecting the internet. Throughout the video, I was also thinking about the video itself. Think about what it took for that video to travel to our classroom. All the transfers it had to make between various people and things. The Internet is the essential part of that transfer between the video's author to us. Take a look at the google tech talks I mentioned, it started out as an idea, off in who-knows-where and that's where it would have stayed. Instead, someone took that idea and made it a reality, a lesson to teach others. At that point, it could have stayed a lesson, circulating in the general area, but leaving anyone outside of a certain range completely oblivious. The internet changed that and with a bit of help from Google, that lesson became a video for the internet, and that video circulated around a much larger area, namely, anyone with an internet connection. This is pretty much what the internet is about, data transfer. The internet is how an idea reached out across nations to teach anyone willing to learn.
What I've been thinking about is how all those transfers occur. From the thought in a brain, to the video in a conference, to the web page on a computer. Often, it's easy to forget about the people that make those things possible. Everything has to be working together, everything has to be made compatible and people have to make that compatibility. Someone has to figure out how to turn light and noise into a video, servers and cables into the internet, and send that video over the internet. I think it would be awesome to connect those kinds of things together. To connect every part of your life together. It must take a lot of effort to invent these sort of things, but I've always thought how nice it would be to make something yourself that you could use everyday like the internet does.

No comments: